The State Museum St Isaac’s Cathedral –
The Museum Complex
JSC "Russian Railways"
Recreation of the Great Polyeleos Bell  


 The recovery of the voice of St Isaac's Cathedral was an outstanding event in the life of St Petersburg. All of its bells, cast in the middle of the XIX century out of Siberian copper coins, were lost in the 1930-ies. The first bell cast in 2012 for the bell tower of St Isaac’s Cathedral was the Great (Polyeleos) bell, weighing over 10 tons.

 

The work was carried out according to the old technology on V. Anisimov bell-casting factory in Voronezh with the support of JSC "Russian Railways". On December 14, 2012 the vicar of St Petersburg eparchy Bishop of Peterhof Markell had carried out the rite of the consecration of the Great bell, and on December 19, 2012 it was raised to the northeast bell tower. After 80 years of silence St Isaac's Cathedral had regained its voice.

 

Get the Flash Player to see this player.