170-th Anniversary of Alfred Parland
In 2012 it will be 170 years since the birth of Alfred Parland (1842–1919(1920?)). In this connection the St Isaac’s Cathedral State Museum, comprising the savior on the Spilled Blood, plans to open the exhibition dedicated to A.Parland, and also to give up the section of annual scientific conference to him in December, 2012.
Alfred Parland was born on December, 12, 1842, in St Petersburg to a family of the 6-th class official, descendant of a Scot by birth.
In 1863 Alfred Parland joined the Architectural department of Imperial Academy of Fine Arts. He used to participate in competitions, and was awarded several gold and silver medals. His graduation thesis concerned the three-altar church and was rewarded a big gold medal, which allowed him to get the Academy of Fine Arts pension in 1872.
In 1872–1874 the young architect under the guidance of N.L.Benouis built the almshouse in Old Petershoff, worked in Strelna, and built the Resurrection Church in Holy Trinity and St Sergius Solitudes on Petershoff Road.
During five years A.Parland lived abroad studying the history of antique architecture and decoration in Italy. He had visited Scotland, England, Germany, France, and Italy.
Soon after his return to Russia, Alfred Parland was elected the Member of the Academy, and got the right to teach in Academy of Fine Arts. He lectured on Ancient Greek and Roman architecture, taught watercolor painting. He also worked for the Technical Committee of the Ministry of Home Affairs which supervised the construction of churches and civil buildings, and designed Russian Orthodox churches in country estates.
Alfred Parland took part in the second round of the competition for the construction of memorial church to Emperor Alexander II, presenting the project under the motto “Ancientry”.
Archimandrite Ignatius the abbot of Holy Trinity and St Sergius Solitudes also took part in the second round of the competition. He was a well educated and gifted person, who had studied in the Academy of Fine Arts, but he needed the aid of professional architect, and Alfred Parland agreed to collaborate with him.
Abbot Ignatius and Alfred Parland developed the design which included elements of Russian ecclesiastic architecture of 16-th and 17-th centuries. Emperor Alexander III, who wanted to see the Russian style church on the spot where his father was deadly wounded, had approved the design. The ultimate version of the design was approved on May, 1, 1887.
From 1883 to 1907 Alfred Parland supervised the construction of the church. In 1892 he was given the degree of Professor of Architecture.
In 1910–1911 A.Parland joined the Committee for the Restoration of Kazansky Cathedral.
Since 1915 Alfred Parland was the Honorary Member of Archeological Society.