The Church was jointly designed by the architect A.A. Parland (1842-1920) and the archimandrite Ignaty (secular name Malyshev, 1811-1897), a rector of the Troitse-Sergievsky Monastery. To fulfill Alexander III’s wish, the cathedral was erected in “the true Russian style”, enclosing the actual assassination site within the walls of the church.
In late March 1883, the tsar approved the membership of the Building Commission with Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich as its head. The first sitting of the Commission decided to name the future church as the Church of the Resurrection of Christ, as suggested by the archimandrite Ignaty.
A fragment of the canal iron-cast railing, a few granite slabs and cobblestones stained with Alexander III’s blood were removed from the site to be kept as relics at the chapel in the Konnyushenaya Square. Consequently, they were returned to where they belonged and a canopy, in the traditions of ancient Russian architecture, was erected over the place. On October 6, 1883, a ceremony was held to mark the laying of the foundation stone attended by Metropolitan Isidor of St Petersburg and Novgorod and members of the Imperial family.
The Church of the Resurrection took 24 years to build. This relatively long span of time can be attributed to the lavish and varied decoration and the use of innovative building and engineering techniques at the time. A pile foundation was abandoned for the first time in St Petersburg’s history in favor of a concrete one. A sophisticated hydro insulation was developed to protect the church from canal waters; steam heating and electrical systems were to be installed.
On August 19, 1907, the Metropolitan Antony of St Petersburg and Ladoga consecrated the church, and a new temple emerged at the Catherine canal (now called Griboedov) to perpetuate the memory of Emperor Alexander II.